New York Health Emergency Fellowships
Working with faculty experts from New York Health’s affiliated institutions such as Harvard Medical School and Mt. Sinai Medical Center, New York Health’s Fellowship program provides medical students, emergency medical physicians and emergency medical responders who work outside of the hospital to gain an in-depth understanding of emergency medical operations in an academic medical center environment.
New York Health’s Fellowship programs selects a maximum of 5 individuals every 6 months to participate. Fellows are given the opportunity to take part in hands-on, operationally focused projects and participate in various emergency activities that nurture professional growth.
New York Health offers two different Fellowship opportunities:
1. Emergency Medical Services / Disaster management Fellowship
2. Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship
Medical Services /Disaster Management Details
• An understanding of EMS systems and system design
• Administrative experience in operating an EMS system
• Clinical observation of the provision of care in the field
• Clinical experience in medical oversight to an EMS System
• An overview of the principles of incident command, hazard and risk analysis
• Exposure to coordinated healthcare sector planning and hospital exercises
Emergency Ultrasound Details
In 2008 the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) updated published guidelines describing the scope of emergency US applications as well as recommendations for initial training to include 16 hours of didactic content and a minimum of 150 proctored scans. Many centers have noted the need for increased training in ultrasound beyond residency, and New York Health now provides a six-month fellowship experience that provides:
• Clinical experience in bedside ultrasonography
• Administrative experience in running an ultrasound program
• Opportunity for scholarly activities in ultrasound
• Mentorship by experienced faculty at Harvard and Mt. Sinai
• Experience in resident and medical student education
Individuals that have an interest in the above New York Health Fellowship programs are encouraged to complete the New York Health Education and Training Application.
Click here to contact New York Health about this program.